[Pdns-dev] Re: AAAA's for net. NS-records question

Leen Besselink leen at wirehub.nl
Thu Jul 19 13:18:06 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:58:55AM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:51:28AM +0200, Leen Besselink wrote:
> > In a couple of years ICANN will run out of IPv4 addresses, a year or two later
> > the regional registries like RIPE will too.
> >
> > So it's wise to look into it even more then we have done in the past.
>
> Nobody ever looks at the additional NS IPv4 addresses either in these kinds
> of packets (recursive answers). It might be best to simply not include IPv4
> either. This would certainly elevate IPv6 quality to IPv4 levels :-)
>
> 	Bert

That's true, I can only think of one 'application' that would look for it. A
workstation or DSL-customer 'behind' a rec. nameserver which needs the IP-address
of the auth. nameserver of his/her domain to do a DNS-update or something like that.

And ofcourse someone like me looking at it. :-)

I was just surprised to find that it was different at all.

I did check, the cache is being used when doing the additional AAAA-query:

'[..]b.gtld-servers.net.: Found cache hit for AAAA:[..]'

That should be enough.