PowerDNS Recursor 3.1.4, second pre-release, please test!
bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Nov 5 15:09:35 CET 2006
In a few days we want to release version 3.1.4 of the PowerDNS recursor. If
you have any chance, please test the second prerelease to see if it works,
and if it solves any problems you may have been seeing.
This is yet another release that mostly fixes minor issues. An upgrade is
recommended, as the combined fixes improve the recursor considerably.
* On certain error conditions, PowerDNS would neglect to close a socket,
which might therefore eventually run out. Spotted by Stefan Schmidt,
fixed in commits 892, 897, 899.
* Some nameservers (including PowerDNS in rare circumstances) emit a SOA
record in the authority section. The recursor mistakenly interpreted
this as an authoritative "NXRRSET". Spotted by Bryan Seitz, fixed in
* In some circumstances, PowerDNS could end up with a useless (not
working, or no longer working) set of nameserver records for a domain.
This release contains logic to invalidate such broken NSSETs, without
overloading authoritative servers. This problem had previously been
spotted by Bryan Seitz, 'Cerb' and Darren Gamble. Invalidations of
NSSETs can be plotted using the "nsset-invalidations" metric,
available through rec_control get. Implemented in commit 896 and
* PowerDNS could crash while dumping the cache using rec_control
dump-cache. Reported by Wouter of WideXS and Stefan Schmidt and many
others, fixed in commit 900.
* Under rare circumstances (depleted TCP buffers), PowerDNS might send
out incomplete questions to remote servers. Additionally, on
big-endian systems (non-Intel and non-AMD generally), sending out
large TCP answers questions would not work at all, and possibly crash.
Brought to our attention by David Gavarret, fixed in commit 903.
* The recursor contained the potential for a dead-lock processing an
invalid domain name. It is not known how this might be triggered, but
it has been observed by 'Cerb' on #powerdns. Several dead-locks where
PowerDNS consumed all CPU, but did not answer questions, have been
reported in the past few months. These might be fixed by commit 904.
* PowerDNS has support to drop answers from so called 'delegation only'
zones. A statistic ("dlg-only-drops") is now available to plot how
often this happens. Implemented in commit 890.
* Hint-file parameter was mistakenly named "hints-file" in the
documentation. Spotted by my Marco Davids, fixed in commit 898.
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services
More information about the Pdns-dev