[Pdns-dev] PowerDNS Recursor 3.1.2 released!

Darren Gamble darren.gamble at sjrb.ca
Wed Jun 28 14:26:38 CEST 2006

Good day,

We applied this patch and built new packages.

The patch unfortunately seems to have no effect on the issue. The good
news, at least, is that we can now easily reproduce the issue.

The issue does indeed happen in the way that we described below.  We
reproduced it as follows:

- Start pdns.
- Query an A record in the "problem" domain.
- Jump the system clock on the machine ahead to "expire" the entry
(rather than wait around)
- Query the same A record.
- Query the NS records for the domain to confirm the problem.

This seems to be 100% reproducible.  But, it doesn't happen the first
time we query for the name (which happened pre 3.1.2).  And, it doesn't
happen if we use wipe-cache to expire the domain.  Perhaps some code
behaves differently if there is information in the cache which is
expired, as opposed to no information at all?

At the time of this message, "monster.ca" has this problem, if one needs
an example.

Thanks,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services