[Pdns-dev] Re: SPF records support

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Wed Jun 14 20:17:13 CEST 2006

Lorens Kockum wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:06:06PM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > Two weeks ago I wrote:
> > > Today I added a record to one of my zones with type='SPF' and
> > > content= 'v=spf1 ...' and then tried to query it using `dig <domain>
> > > TYPE99`, but got no records back.  (Querying a type='TXT' record in
> > > the same domain works ok.)
> >
> > Bert, could you please look into it?
>
> There's no reason he should, SPF records work just fine. Did
> you see Duane's reply to your mail, saying that SPF records are
> stored as type='TXT'?

Yes, I saw it, but that statement is flat out wrong.  SPF records _can_ be
stored as TXT records, but there is also a dedicated SPF RR type (with
code 99), which is actually _preferred_ over TXT.  See RFC 4408, section
3.1.1[1] and section 4.5[2].

And when Bert wrote that he implemented "SPF records support" a few months
back, I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say he implemented TXT records in
PDNS.

Julian.