[Pdns-dev] Re: Domains with binary (e.g. UTF-8) labels

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed Dec 20 13:32:17 CET 2006

>>>>> "bh" == bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> writes:

bh> However, for a reality check, do realise the DNSSEC people decided
bh> not to take advantage of binary labels, but use base32 encoding,
bh> and packet size is of concern to them. They might've used base204
bh> encoding, which would've led to lots smaller packets.

I am sure you will agree with me that in general, the decisions of
"the DNSSEC people" are not exactly holy gospel. Also note that base204
would cut packet sizes by a third perhaps. Not exactly fantastic.

bh> End to end UTF-8 DNS w/o IDN is not around the corner, and not
bh> just because of PowerDNS.

I use it sometimes for fun for my home domain.

/Benny