[Pdns-dev] Bind-like behavior for the sqlbackend...

Marc Jauvin marc at r4l.com
Wed Feb 16 11:05:57 CET 2005

Bind allows you to refer to the same zone data file for multiple zones (using
"generic" zones without explicit $ORIGIN reference in the zone data file).

I would like to inquire how easy it would be to hack pdns to allow multiple
zones for the SQL backends to share a set of RR.

The way I see it, we could have an extra field in the domain table (like refID)
which would either be 0 (when the zone has its own set of RR) or another zone's
ID (if it shares this zone's RR).

Of course, that would require the records table to either NOT contain the FQDN
in the "name" field or add code to the SQLbackend to replace the domain part of
the source zone for the zone sharing RR.

Feedback on this anyone?

--
Marc Jauvin
http://register4less.com