[Pdns-dev] Re: [patch] expected behaviour of loglevel

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sat Nov 8 13:15:39 CET 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 06:24:33PM +0100, Norbert Sendetzky wrote:

> The previous behaviour was to log messages to the console if the
> urgency of the message was higher than the loglevel. This might be
> slightly useful for developers testing modifications on the local
> machine, but neither help users nor developers to find errors in a
> productive environment.

Sorry - this is much used by people with 'pdns monitor' to see what is
happening on the foreground. I can't apply this patch because it removes all
logging to the console, which a lot of people really need.

What we need is two flags, one which says which messages go to the console
and one which says which go to syslog.

In your second patch, you log a lot which is not being written out because
it is filtered, but be aware that logging is very expensive, even when not
writing it out tot syslog!