[Pdns-announce] First Release Candidate of PowerDNS Recursor 4.8.0

Otto Moerbeek otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com
Fri Nov 18 09:58:15 UTC 2022

Hello!

   We are proud to announce the first release candidate of PowerDNS
   Recursor 4.8.0. We invite all users to test this release candidate, so
   that we can release the final PowerDNS Recursor 4.8.0 soon.

   Compared to the previous major (4.7) release of PowerDNS Recursor, this
   release contains the following major changes:

     * [1]Structured Logging has been implemented for almost all
       subsystems. This allows for improved (automated) analysis of
       logging information. We've posted a [2]blog about this feature
       recently.
     * Optional [3]Serve Stale functionality has been implemented,
       providing resilience against connectivity problems towards
       authoritative servers.
     * Optional [4]Record Locking has been implemented, providing an extra
       layer of protection against spoofing attempts at the price of
       reduced cache efficiency.
     * Internal tables used to track information about authoritative
       servers are now [5]shared instead of per-thread, resulting in
       better performance and lower memory usage.
     * EDNS padding of outgoing DoT queries has been implemented,
       providing better privacy protection.
     * Metrics have been added about the protobuf and dnstap logging
       [6]subsystems and the [7]rcodes received from authoritative
       servers.

   As always, there are also many smaller bug fixes and improvements,
   please refer to the [8]changelog for additional details. When upgrading
   do not forget to check the [9]upgrade guide.

   We are also announcing the removal of [10]XPF support. If you are using
   this feature, switch to the [11]proxy protocol.

   Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via
   the [12]mailing list, or in case of a bug, via [13]GitHub.

   The [14]tarball ([15]signature) is available from our download
   [16]server and packages for several distributions are available from
   our [17]repository.

   With the final 4.8 release, the 4.5.x releases will be marked "End of
   Life" and the 4.6.x and 4.7.x releases will go into critical fixes only
   mode. Consult the EOL [18]policy for more details.

   We would also like to mention that with the 4.5 release we stopped
   supporting systems using 32-bit time. This includes many 32-bit Linux
   platforms.

   We are grateful to the PowerDNS community for the reporting of bugs,
   issues, feature requests, and especially to the submitters of fixes and
   implementations of features.

References

   1. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#structured-logging-backend
   2. https://blog.powerdns.com/2022/10/03/structured-logging-in-powerdns-recursor/
   3. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/appendices/internals.html#serve-stale
   4. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#record-cache-locked-ttl-perc
   5. https://blog.powerdns.com/2022/08/29/sharing-data-between-threads-in-powerdns-recursor/
   6. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/manpages/rec_control.1.html
   7. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/metrics.html#auth-xxx-answers
   8. https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/changelog/4.8.html#change-4.8.0-rc1
   9. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/upgrade.html
  10. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#xpf-allow-from
  11. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#proxy-protocol-from
  13. https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose
  14. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.8.0-rc1.tar.bz2
  15. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.8.0-rc1.tar.bz2.sig
  16. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/
  17. https://repo.powerdns.com/
  18. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/appendices/EOL.html

--

kind regards,
Otto Moerbeek

Email: otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com

Open-Xchange AG, Hohenzollernring 72, 50672 Cologne, District Court Cologne HRB 95366
Managing Board: Andreas Gauger, Dirk Valbert, Frank Hoberg, Stephan Martin
Chairman of the Board: Richard Seibt

PowerDNS.COM BV, Koninginnegracht 14L, 2514 AA Den Haag, The Netherlands
Managing Director: Robert Brandt, Maxim Letski