[Pdns-announce] Second alpha release of dnsdist 1.7.0

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Oct 19 09:00:07 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce the second alpha release of dnsdist 1.7.0!

We spent quite some time since alpha1 reproducing an issue reported by
Stephane Bortzmeyer in our new outgoing DNS over TLS feature. The issue
turned out to be triggered by the use of the GnuTLS provider, and to be
only present with some versions of that library. We are still working
with the GnuTLS project to get this issue resolved, but in the meantime
we implemented a work-around in dnsdist itself. In addition to that
work-around, this release contains a few new features, improvements and
bug fixes.

Among the new features is the ability to add a custom EDNS option to a
query before forwarding it to a backend, via SetEDNSOptionAction.
phonedph1 also contributed a new rule making it possible to route a
query based on the number of outstanding queries in a pool,
PoolOutstandingRule.

The packet cache has been improved so that one can now configure which
EDNS options should be ignored, raising the cache hit ratio behind
customer-premises equipment. The incoming and outgoing protocols have
been added to the output of the grepq command for a better understanding
of the recently processed traffic. We also reduced the memory
consumption of dnsdist in constrained environments a bit further.

Denis Machard reported that queries received over UDP and forwarded via
a TCP, DoH or DoT were not properly cached. We also noticed that the
includeDirectory configuration directive might not properly function if
an exception was raised during the processing. Both issues are now fixed.

Please see the dnsdist website [1] for the more complete changelog [2]
and the current documentation.

Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
list, or in case of a bug, via GitHub.

Release tarballs are available on the downloads website, and packages
for several distributions are available from our repository.

With the future 1.7.0 final release, the 1.4.x releases will be EOL and
the 1.5.x and 1.6.x releases will go into critical security fixes only mode.

Finally, we would like to thank the PowerDNS community and all external
contributors for their great work in this release!

[1]: https://dnsdist.org
[2]: https://dnsdist.org/changelog.html#change-1.7.0-alpha2
[3]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose
[4]: