[Pdns-announce] Announcing: Lua records, GSLB

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Tue Apr 24 11:43:27 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

Yesterday we merged the new "LUA Records", and they have now appeared in the
master builds you can apt-get or yum from https://repo.powerdns.com (or find
the tarballs, https://builder.powerdns.com )

Here is the first part of the blogpost:

"While PowerDNS ships with a powerful geographical backend (geoip), there
 was a demand for more broader solutions that include uptime monitoring,
 which in addition could run from existing zones.

 After several trials, we have settled on “LUA” resource records, which look like this:

 @   IN   LUA   A   "ifportup(443, {'52.48.64.3', '45.55.10.200'})"

 When inserted in a zone with LUA records enabled, any lookups for your
 domain name will now return one of the listed IP addresses that listens on
 port 443.  If one is down, only the other gets returned.  If both are down,
 both get returned.

 But if both are up, wouldn’t it be great if we could return the ‘best’ IP address for that client? Say no more:

 @    IN   LUA A ( "ifportup(443, {'52.48.64.3', '45.55.10.200'}, "
                  "{selector='closest'})                          ")"

https://blog.powerdns.com/2017/12/15/powerdns-authoritative-lua-records/ has
this and more details.  Documentation is on
https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/lua-records.html

This feature is already in production in some big places, so the API is
stable. However, if you find things you need that are missing, or have
problems, now is the time to let us know!

	Bert