[Pdns-announce] Release of PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.0.0 and PowerDNS Recursor 4.0.0 FROZEN

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Jul 8 14:19:52 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

Today we closed the last small issues on both PowerDNS Authoritative Server
4.0.0 and PowerDNS Recursor 4.0.0.  Both products have long been in
production already as snapshots, betas and release candidates and with our
supported customers. But only now have we addressed all the issues for the
discerning world of open source (who run on way more operating systems, for
example).

The 4.0.0 release process is now frozen. This means: the packages you can
find on https://repo.powerdns.com in the 'master' branch are EXACTLY (except
for the version number) what we intend to release on Monday.

That is.. unless we find any last minute breaking issues. And that is where
you come in.

If you have the opportunity and some time, please see if 4.0.0-to-be works
for you. Try out some of the cool things:

* RPZ: https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/06/28/response-policy-zone-support-in-powerdns-recursor/
* The crazy new 'pdnsutil edit-zone':
  https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/02/02/powerdns-authoritative-the-new-old-way-to-manage-domains/
  (with rollback, check-zone, diffs)
* Efficient & optional filtering of malware, ads, "adult only" content: http://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/19/efficient-optional-filtering-of-domains-in-recursor-4-0-0/
* Per-device settings (malware filtering, ad filtering): http://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/27/per-device-dns-settings-selective-parental-control/
* The new GEOIP backend, our EDNS Client Subnet support in Recursor, DNSSEC
  in recursor & so much more: https://blog.powerdns.com/2015/12/24/technical-preview-releases-of-authoritative-server-recursor-and-dnsdist/

You can get packages from the distribution repositories on https://repo.powerdns.com
, or you can go to the various builds directly on https://builder.powerdns.com/ :

 * Authoritative tar.bz2: https://builder.powerdns.com/#/builders/8
 * Recursor tar.bz2: https://builder.powerdns.com/#/builders/9
 * and many many more

And please let us know of any issues you find!

Have a great weekend.

	Bert