[Pdns-announce] Want to help PowerDNS? Want a free PowerDNS mug? Please send in (anonymized) PCAPs!

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Aug 9 19:05:52 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

Over the years, DNS access patterns change. New versions of popular
operating systems, whole new operating systems, DNSSEC, larger IPv6
deployments, the shift to mobile etc mean that the strategies for best DNS
performance are changing.

A few years ago we asked you to help us optimize the PowerDNS Recursor by
sending us (anonymized) dumps of resolver traffic, and that was tremendously
helpful for us in improving the performance of the recursor.

We are now asking you to help us again, since we've observed that our few
years old traffic is no longer representative of all the new devices on the
internet these days.

And to help you along, we'll lovingly ship you some PowerDNS mugs and pens
to thank you for your PCAPS!

We will of course not share your PCAP files with anybody, and we also
provide the 'dnswasher' tool to remove your customer's IP addresses from the
dumps.

What we are looking for is traffic from/to PowerDNS Recursors. To record,
try:

# tcpdump -i eth0 -w for-powerdns-from-x -C 1000 -s 1600 port 53
(or -i any)

And leave this running for as long as you want. It will generate 1G large
PCAP files which will help us tremendously. To test yourself, feed the file
generated to 'dnsreplay' for example, or 'dnsscope' and get statistics on
how well you are doing.

To submit the files to us, optionally feed them through 'dnswasher' to
remove customer IP addresses, and then upload to
ftp://training.powerdns.com/anon

This anon directory is world writable, but not readable. Filenames have to
be unique however. If you want, we can provide feedback on what your PCAPs
have taught us, please send email to powerdns.support at powerdns.com. This is
also the place to send your address for the free PowerDNS mugs & pens!

To learn more about dnsreplay, dnsscope, and dnswasher, see
http://doc.powerdns.com/html/analysis.html . To download, head to:

https://autotest.powerdns.com/job/auth-git-semistatic-deb-amd64/
https://autotest.powerdns.com/job/auth-git-semistatic-rpm-amd64/
https://autotest.powerdns.com/job/auth-git-semistatic-deb-i386/
https://autotest.powerdns.com/job/auth-git-semistatic-rpm-i386/

But, to clarify, any pcap is good for us, if it is washed, analyzed or not.

Thank you very much, and we hope to be receiving lots of packets!

	Bert

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
Contact us by phone on +31-15-7850372