[Pdns-announce] Some comic relief - freeware is not malware, but it is close according to Nominum

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Sep 23 09:33:23 UTC 2009

Hi everybody!

Sorry for being a bit silent over the past two weeks, have been very busy
with our newly born son Guus! Mother and son are doing really well.

In the meantime, you may enjoy the propaganda below from DNS vendor Nominum,
who I know are stalking many subscribers of this list to migrate to their
products.

Just so you know, the freeware you are relying on is pretty close to malware..

Quoting from:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39760362,00.htm?s_cid=260

"Q: In the announcement for Nominum's new Skye cloud DNS services, you say
Skye 'closes a key weakness in the internet'. What is that weakness?

A: Freeware legacy DNS is the internet's dirty little secret - and it's
not even little, it's probably a big secret. Because if you think of all the
places outside of where Nominum is today - whether it's the majority of
enterprise accounts or some of the smaller ISPs - they all have
essentially been running freeware up until now.

Given all the nasty things that have happened this year, freeware is a
recipe for problems, and it's just going to get worse.

Q: Are you talking about open-source software?

A: Correct. So, whether it's Eircom in Ireland or a Brazilian ISP that was
attacked earlier this year, all of them were using some variant of freeware.
Freeware is not akin to malware, but is opening up those customers to
problems. So we've seen the majority of the world's top ISPs migrating away
from freeware to a solution that is carrier-grade, commercial-grade and
secure.
..
Nominum software was written 100 percent from the ground up, and by having
software with source code that is not open for everybody to look at, it is
inherently more secure."

Lots more goodness in the link. Feel free to blog this up. In the DNS world,
we try to keep thing civil, but apparently, Nominum feels no need for this
anymore.

	Bert