[Pdns-announce] 2.9.22-rc1 coming up!
bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Nov 16 20:44:52 UTC 2008
On http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots/1293/ you can find snapshots of what
wil become 2.9.22-rc1 later this week, and probably 2.9.22 real soon after
This is one of the biggest and imho most exciting Authoritative Server
releases in many years.
Thanks are due to UPC Broadband and Directi who made a lot of this possible.
It would be appreciated if the more adventurous among you (you know who you
are!) gave this snapshot a spin. It is powering some servers already, so it
is not that scary.
Some highlights from the full (pre-)release notes:
(the full notes are on http://doc.powerdns.com/changelog.html#CHANGELOG-AUTH-2-9-22 )
* pdns_control can now also work over TCP/IP. Sponsored by
Directi. Commits 1246, 1251, 1254, 1255.
* Implemented a notification proxy, see Section 19.1. This
work was sponsored by UPC Broadband. Implemented in
commit 1075, commit 1077, commit 1082, commit 1083, commit
1085, commit 1086.
* PowerDNS Authoritative server now parses incoming EDNS
options, like maximum allowed packet size. Implemented in
commit 1123 and commit 1281.
* Implemented EDNS NSID option for retrieving the nameserver
ID out of band. Defaults to hostname, can be specified
using the server-id setting. Code in commit 1232.
* Implemented experimental EDNS PING for enhanced forgery
resilience. Code in commit 1232.
* Improve packet generation performance, in some cases by
25%. Code in 1258, 1259.
* PowerDNS Authoritative caches were completely redone, and
are now based on the same cache that is in the resolver.
This work has been sponsored by Directi. In large
benchmarks, PowerDNS performance has improved by an order
of magnitude or more. This new version allows for
near-instantaneous cache purging, plus very rapid purging
based on suffix. Purge commands can also be batched. This
work is partially based on an innovative reverse-string
comparison function authored by Aki Tuomi.
* BIND backend speedups in commit 1108, measured at around a
20% improvement, possibly more on very large setups.
* Connection reset by peer events in the TCP nameserver no
longer lead to the cycling of database connections. Code in
* Properly fill out the 'recursion available'-flag. Spotted
by Augie Schwer in ticket 167.
* Several memory leaks on bad data in the database or other
errors have been fixed. Addressed in 1078 and 1079.
* Jelte Jansen of Stichting NLNetLabs discovered PowerDNS in
BIND mode couldn't operate as a root-server! Fixed in 1057.
* DNSSEC records were part of 2.9.21, but were not actually
hooked up. Please note that while PowerDNS can serve most
DNSSEC records, it does not do DNSSEC processing.
Implemented in 1046.
* Our statistics counters did not wrap correctly after the
2.15 billion mark. Spotted by Stefan Schmidt, reported in
ticket 179, fixed in commit 1284.
* Zoneparser improvements mean $TTL and $INCLUDES now work a
lot better. Additionally, trailing spaces no longer confuse
the parser. Implemented in 1056, 1062.
* Random generator is now based on AES, improving the
security of certain proxy operations. This is the same
random generator that is in the recursor. Implemented in
* Labels are compressed more efficiently
(case-insensitively), leading to smaller packets.
Implemented in commit 1156.
* Fix handling of TCP timeouts to not cause a reload of the
backends. Implemented in commit 1092.
* Move from select() to poll()-based multiplexing, allowing
PowerDNS to listen on more than 1024 sockets
simultaneously. One big PowerDNS user needs this.
Implemented in 1072.
* PowerDNS now skips remote master servers which consistently
generate timeout messages, improving the master checking
cycle time tremendously. Developed in cooperation with
Tyler Hall. Implemented in commit 1278.
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services
More information about the Pdns-announce