[Pdns-announce] PowerDNS distribution server has been hacked - beware

bert hubert ahu at ds9a.nl
Sat Aug 2 12:40:50 UTC 2003

Dear users,

Please be aware that one of the servers containing the PowerDNS sources has
been compromised (ie, hacked).

I'm currently figuring out what if anything has been touched. I've done a
lot to prevent this from ever happening again BUT I must urge you not to
trust anything you've downloaded lately from:

	ds9a.nl
	powerdns.org
	lartc.org

The hack was most likely performed via a local user - the kernel I ran with
had local vulnerabilities.

Will keep you posted about further updates.

Lessons learned:
	chmod a-w /dev/kmem
	don't run with local users
	update your kernel frequently

We had an impressive uptime of 440 days or so, which I was so proud of I did
not want to reboot. See where it got me.

Thanks.