[dnsdist] How get ECS in DnsDist logs ?

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Oct 1 07:37:17 UTC 2024

Hi David,

On 30/09/2024 15:28, david n via dnsdist wrote:
> I’m trying to log the client subnet with DnsDist, actually I only have
> the IP of the DNS server requesting :
>
> [1727699139.669387387] Packet from 192.29.141.4:38506 for foo.bar. A
> with id 51444

We don't currently have the ability to log incoming EDNS Client Subnet
in DNSdist, I'm afraid. The main reason is that we usually don't really
care: either the existing value is preserved and passed to the backend,
or we overwrite it. There is no use-case I'm aware of where we process
the ECS value in DNSdist itself. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't be
helpful to be able to log it, to be clear, I would be happy to merge
such a feature if someone were to contribute it. You can open a feature
request [1] so we don't forget about it.

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose