[dnsdist] Missing A records and spoofing

André Ferreira mestreandreferreira at proton.me
Wed Jul 24 15:35:44 UTC 2024

Thank you kindly for the reply Michel.

I've tried something like it before with no luck, however the command line arguments you offered at least moved me a step forward, as it confirms the setup.
However, the offending subdomains still resolve, example:

# dnsdist -c
> tostring(evilDomains:check(newDNSName("1e100.net")))
true
> quit
# nslookup
> server 192.168.1.2
Default server: 192.168.1.2
Address: 192.168.1.2#53
>mad07s25-in-f3.1e100.net
Server: 192.168.1.2
Address: 192.168.1.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:mad07s25-in-f3.1e100.net
Address: 142.250.201.67
Name:mad07s25-in-f3.1e100.net
Address: 2a00:1450:4003:811::3

And the lines in /etc/dnsdist/dnsdist.conf are:

evilDomains = newSuffixMatchNode()
evilDomains:add("1e100.net")
addAction(SuffixMatchNodeRule(evilDomains), SpoofAction("0.0.0.0"))

I tried with PoolAction but it also didn't work.
Restarted the server and even rebooted for an update.

Any ideas?