[dnsdist] Missing A records and spoofing

André Ferreira mestreandreferreira at proton.me
Wed Jul 24 04:46:58 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

A tactic to thwart DNS sinkholes is not to have an A record in the domain name and then offer hundreds or more subdomains that can be reached via UDP, and if firewall blocked, via TCP. At least, it’s what I’m facing.

It’s laborious work to identify each subdomain, add firewall rules, host entries etc to then discover its resilience on trying different variations on subdomains hinting at a wildcard setup where any is valid.

I wanted to enquire about the possibility of a wildcard sinkhole to spoof the main domain and all of the subdomains to tackle such scenarios as I’ve didn’t get it to work

Best regards
André Ferreira