[dnsdist] dnsdist latency bucket metric still broken in 1.8.0?

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Wed May 3 11:55:57 UTC 2023

Hi Christoph,

On 14/04/2023 17:04, Christoph via dnsdist wrote:
> here is our dnsdist.conf,
> maybe it helps to reproduce the issue.

If I'm not mistaken, you are mostly dealing with DoT and DoH queries,
not UDP ones?
I'm asking because since 1.8 these latency metrics are now only updated
for UDP queries, and we have new ones that are broken down by protocol,
as implemented in [1]. We have more information at [2] and a sample
prometheus output at [3].
We do know it will require updating a few dashboards, but exactly how
the latency was measured when several protocols were in use has been
very hard to understand since dnsdist 1.0, with some advocating for the
UDP latency to be only one meaningful and others wanting a global
overview regardless of the protocol. Both use-cases can now be done by
aggregating the metrics as needed.

Note that I still don't understand how we can end up with all recorded
queries in the "slow" bucket ("dnsdist_latency_bucket{le="+Inf"}") and
still get 0 as the sum ("dnsdist_latency_sum"), but I have not been able
to reproduce this behaviour so I don't know what is going on.

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/11716
[2]:
https://dnsdist.org/statistics.html?highlight=latency#latency-doh-avg100
[3]: