[dnsdist] Backend Questions

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Oct 7 09:17:39 UTC 2022

Hello Klaus,

On 07/10/2022 10:53, Klaus Darilion via dnsdist wrote:

> We use dnsdist with 1 single backend server (PDNS). So if this backend
> is overloaded, dnsdist will detect the backend as DOWN. Hence, the only
> server for this backend pool down. How will dnsdist behave if all
> servers for a backend pool are down? Will it stop senden queries to the
> backend, or will it still send queries to the DOWN server as there is no
> UP server available?

All of the built-in load balancing policies will stop forwarding queries
when all the servers in the selected pool are down. It would be possible
to write a custom load-balancing in Lua that does not do that, of
course, but I don't think that's what you want in that case.

> So it may be useful to disable healthchecks completely. How can this be
> done?

You can force a server in the "up" state using the 'setUp()' method, see
[1].

> My current config is a few years old tested with dnsdist 1.3. These
> days, dnsdist was faster when I added the listen port multiple times,
> and also add the single backend server multiple times, to have more
> receiver threads. For example:
>
> Is it still (dnsdist 1.6/1.7) useful/necessary to add listenSockets and
> Backendserver multiple times to improve performance?

I'm afraid so, yes. We have been thinking about a better syntax/design
for spawning multiple threads without having to duplicate the lines, but
haven't settled on and implemented a new syntax yet. Ideally we would
like to avoid breaking compatibility with existing setups, both for the
configuration files and for the metrics, but we might have to make a
breaking change in a new major version.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/quickstart.html#changing-server-settings