[dnsdist] powerdns + dnsdist on docker

Andre Magri andremag at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:52:43 UTC 2022

Hi,
I've been trying to solve a replication issue without success so I'm hoping
someone can help me.

When the master (docker1.home.local) sends a NOTIFY to the slave (
docker2.home.local) I get this on the slave:

pdns-auth-1      | Nov 09 11:44:06 Received NOTIFY for home.local from
172.18.0.4 for which we are not authoritative, trying supermaster
pdns-auth-1      | Nov 09 11:44:06 Error resolving SOA or NS for home.local
at: 172.18.0.4: Query to '172.18.0.4' for SOA of 'home.local' produced no
answers

I tried adding the following to slave dnsdist.conf but then I get no more
logs on the slave:
newServer({address="docker1.home.local", useClientSubnet=true,
name="supermaster1", pool="supermasters"})
addAction(OrRule({QTypeRule(DNSQType.SOA), QTypeRule(DNSQType.AXFR),
QTypeRule(DNSQType.IXFR)}), PoolAction("supermasters"))

I figured that the slave is not querying the master for the SOA even though
the supermasters table is populated with the master ip.

I'm also using *useClientSubnet=true* in all my server declarations.

I'd appreciate any help and thank you in advance.