[dnsdist] Client query id in the dq-object?

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Thu Nov 3 14:38:28 UTC 2022

On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 05:19:54PM +0100, Tom via dnsdist wrote:

> Hi list
>
> A few months ago, I've asked the question below and wasn't able to find a
> solution in the meantime. Does someone has a hint, how to achieve this?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Tom
>

> On 7/28/22 11:17, Tom wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Using dnsdist-1.7.2, I'm trying to get the query id from the
> > client-query, but I can't find the matching parameter in the dq-object.
> > My goal is to find a specific query-id (ex. 9999) and then use this
> > (same) specific query-id also for the outbound query from dnsdist to the
> > backend server.
> >
> > Any hints how to achieve this?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Tom

There is no API to get the queryid. It could maybe be added, but
*setting* the query id four outgoing queries is something else.

Keeping track of query-id's is a complex problem, think about multiple
clients, multiple backends, many queries in-flight. This is not
something to be done from Lua, but a job for dnsdist itself.

To ask a more general question: what problem are you trying to solve?

If we would have more insight in that, we can maybe suggest an
alternative approach to solve your problem.

	-Otto