[dnsdist] How to best handle DNS floods

me aharen aharen at outlook.com
Thu Mar 31 08:59:59 UTC 2022

Hello there,

I am in a situation where my dnsdist server is being flooding with random DNS quieies like seen below:

zvbi2raw.shopify.sh.cn.
zuqiuzhibonow.shopify.sh.cn.
zypb-pjqr.shopify.sh.cn.
zuul-data.shopify.sh.cn.
zwingscloud.shopify.sh.cn.
zuqiuzhoukan00.shopify.sh.cn.
zysd.shopify.sh.cn.
zzmtwvncx.shopify.sh.cn.
zvit.shopify.sh.cn.

These floods generate large SERVFAIL responses and would like to minimize or best handle this.

On the cache config, I have enabled temporaryFailureTTL to 3600 and staleTTL to 3600.

And added the action "addAction(RCodeRule(DNSRCode.SERVFAIL), DropAction())" - although I am uncertain if this works as I think it would.

I do have another QPS rule, "addAction(MaxQPSIPRule(50), PoolAction("abuse"))", to redirect the flooders.

The only thing I can't do is apply any delay or drop action which would disrupt the user's legit queries.

Using Dynamic Rule is interesting, but it blocks queries once the "exceedServFails" exceeds, blocks legit queries for /32 - which is disruptive.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
AH