[dnsdist] [EXT] Is there some simple issue that needs to be done?

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Mar 29 15:19:44 UTC 2022

Hi!

On 29/03/2022 14:52, Y7n05h wrote:
> I'm interested in improving the performance of dnsdist with AF_XDP
> in GSoC, I've spent a lot of time learning XDP and AF_XDP.
> I hope there are some simple issues waiting to be done to help me get
> familiar with the architecture of dnsdist.
> It would be better if these issues could be related to XDP/AF_XDP.

I don't think we have any issue or feature request related to XDP or
AF_XDP that are small enough for that.
There are a couple feature requests that are not very complicated from a
code point of view and would make a good introduction to the dnsdist
code at
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues?q=is%3Aopen+label%3Adnsdist+label%3Aeasy

If you are looking for bigger things to tackle, perhaps there might be
of interest to you:

- https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/11301
- https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/10793
- https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/10769
- https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/9690
- https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/11261

Please drop a comment either here or directly on the related GitHub
issue if you start working on something to avoid duplicated work.

> I tried to contact Remi Gacogne a long time ago, but he may be busy.
> He did not reply to my email.

I'm usually not working on PowerDNS-related topics during week-ends, and
I might indeed need more than a few days to reply to non-urgent e-mails
during some busy periods.