[dnsdist] DynBlockRulesGroup > setQueryRate not triggered

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Sep 13 13:10:16 UTC 2021

Hi Denis,

On 9/13/21 11:36, dmachard via dnsdist wrote:
> I don't find anything in the documentation about this limitation, but
> after some investigation, my conclusion is that the "rate"  argument of
> the setQueryRate function has a maximum value not to be exceeded.
>
> maxRate = (The maximum amount of queries in the ringbuffer /  Number of
> seconds the rate has been exceeded)  - 1
>
> Could you confirm  that my understanding is correct?

Your understanding is correct. If we don't have enough space in the ring
buffer the rate is never reached.

> If yes , perhaps it will be nice to have some notes in documentation
> about that, or I just missed it ?

I'm afraid you are right and this is not mentioned anywhere. It would be
very nice to add some words about that in the dynamic blocks guide.
Would you mind opening an issue in GitHub so we don't forget? Or a pull
request if you can spare the time, of course :)

> By the way, many thanks for this great product!

You are welcome, and many thanks to you for helping make it even better!

Best