[dnsdist] please consider generating a hashed one using 'hashPassword()'

Denis MACHARD d.machard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 20:47:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

With the alpha release of dnsdist 1.7.0, we have the new following log
message during startup:

Passing a plain-text password via the 'password' parameter to
'setWebserverConfig()' is not advised, please consider generating a hashed
one using 'hashPassword()' instead.
Passing a plain-text API key via the 'apiKey' parameter to
'setWebserverConfig()' is not advised, please consider generating a hashed
one using 'hashPassword()' instead.

I just want to report that this great feature (PR 10157) is missing in the
changelog,
By the way, I made a small to tool to generate the hash password without
dnsdist, it's can be useful for automated deployment
https://github.com/dmachard/dnsdist-console

> pip install dnsdist_console
>
> python3 -c "from dnsdist_console import HashPassword as H;print(H().generate(\"mysupersecret\"))"
> $scrypt$ln=10,p=1,r=8$rY9YB+QnTOkxKOBlNUUYaw==$4C4Hm5IFiOTluLkjGtPMl4FtYQIwJvSA/eb7uqAlFg4=

Denis Machard.