[dnsdist] Dynamic reload dnsdist config files

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Mar 15 08:12:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 3/15/21 9:04 AM, Cheikh Dieng via dnsdist wrote:
> I'm using dnsdist in docker mode.
> I have to add some downstream servers in my running dnsdist docker.
> I want to know if there is a way to dynamic reload my conf files  for
> the new entries without rebuilding the dnsdist images or do and
> stop/restart process
>
> I can use a volume to persist the conf files.

Fully reloading the configuration without restarting dnsdist is not
possible, mostly because we made the choice to create some objects at
configuration time and not at runtime for performance reasons.
You can, however, add and remove downstream servers at runtime without
reloading dnsdist by using the console [1].

Hope that helps.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/guides/console.html