[dnsdist] what do you think of our dns concept?

Rasto Rickardt rasto.rickardt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:29:53 UTC 2021

Hello,

Frontend to backend:

1. You can do responses for malicious requests on dnsdist directly, do
not need to forward them to backend
2. If your configuration allows, use anycast between 3 sites (bird is a
quite good BGP speaker for this)
3. In backend you might split your authoritative and recursive
functionality.
4. If split, you do not need to touch recursive backends servers so
often for operation and you can use different software vendors
(powerdns-recursor, knot-recursor, unbound) just to have different
maintenance window in case of bugs/upgrades. Single bug will not ruin
your whole backend.
5. For authoritative, i will avoid common table and replication, they
are prone to data corruption. You can run 1 master/supermaster server
and use different authoritative servers where you configure zones and
master server, rest is done with standard NOTIFY/AXFR, etc. mechanics or
just use generated flat files if you prefer so. You might run different
vendors as backend for authoritative (powerdns, knot) but there is more
work with operations for such a backend.
6. For private authoritative i will not mix it with public authoritative
and set up dedicated ones, forwarding rules in dnsdist will be more clear.

Hope this is more help than confusion :)

r.