[dnsdist] ERROR RUNNING ZVELODB c-api-tool LOOKUP COMMAND INSIDE LUA's preresolve()

Pius Nganga pnganga05 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 04:07:39 UTC 2021

We are using zvelodb to do an url lookup inside pdns recursor's preresolve
function. We are executing a terminal command using  io.popen as follows;

f = io.popen("c-api-tool -l "..dq.qname:toString()) -- runs command
   l = f:read("*a") -- read output of command
   f:close()
   print(l)

Running the above command outside of the preresolve function prints the
expected outcome which is 'domainname category'.

When the command is inside the preresolve function it prints 'url_init:
unable to open database'
Has anyone encountered this before and how do we solve this?