[dnsdist] cache dnsdist not working for my setup

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Tue Feb 9 09:24:42 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 2/9/21 9:41 AM, SAMI RAHAL via dnsdist wrote:
> I have adjusted access to the console, but now I have a problem with the dnsdist log file
>
> Fatal Lua error: [string "chunk"]:164: Caught exception: Unable to open file '/var/log/dnsdist.log' for logging: Permission denied
>
> ls -l /var/log/
> -rw-------  1 dnsdist dnsdist        0 Feb  8 03:21 dnsdist.log
> -rw-------  1 dnsdist dnsdist        0 Feb  7 19:59 dnsdist.log-20210208
>

> the log files are empty, I didn't have this problem before installing version 1.5

dnsdist runs as the dnsdist user. 2 things might be the case

1. the /var/lib directory is not accessable to all users
2. a protection setting in the systemd service file might prevent thist
(most likely ProtectSystem=full)

Have a look at what might be the culprit here.

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com