[dnsdist] dnstap logs CLIENT_RESPONSES only, when the queried RR is not in cache

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Aug 27 07:43:41 UTC 2021

Hi Tom,

On 8/27/21 8:21 AM, Tom via dnsdist wrote:
> Using dnsdist-1.6.0, a packet-cache-configuration and a dnstap
> (newFrameStreamUnixLogger) configuration, which is configured for
> logging responses too:
>
> I have noticed that in the dnstap-logs the CLIENT_RESPONSE only appears,
> when dnsdist has NO cache entry for this request. Ever client-query,
> which can be answered from the dnsdist-cache will only be logged with
> "CLIENT_QUERY" and not additional with CLIENT_RESPONSE.

I can't know for sure without seeing your actual configuration but my
guess is that you are using addResponseAction() to log responses, and
these rules are not applied to cache hits, for historical reasons.
You can apply rules to cache hits via addCacheHitResponseAction() [1].

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/rules-actions.html?#addCacheHitResponseAction

Hope that helps,

Remi