[dnsdist] protobuf querylog and response

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Aug 6 08:06:16 UTC 2021

Hi Ron,

On 8/5/21 5:23 AM, Ron Vachiyer via dnsdist wrote:
> Is there a way to add the resource returned to the client in the log?  I
> wish to be able to define a passive-dns log and the reply sent to the
> client is what I am looking to add.

By default dnsdist will only export the content of A and AAAA resource
records, and CNAME records can be included as well using the
'includeCNAME' parameter of the RemoteLogResponseAction action, but
other record types are not supported.
If you are looking at exporting the reply sent to the client, perhaps
dnstap [1][2] would be more suited to your needs?

[1]: https://dnstap.info/
[2]: https://dnsdist.org/reference/dnstap.html