[dnsdist] dnsdist timeout with unknown opcode query

Arnaud Gavara arnaud.gavara at umontpellier.fr
Wed Sep 23 14:03:17 UTC 2020

Hello,

While doing tests on dnsdist (v1.5.0) I noticed a strange (wrong ?) behavior.

If I request dnsdist with an intentionally unknown opcode, I get a timeout:
(dig with +noedns +noad +opcode=15 +norec +header-only)

If I make the same request directly to the backend server of dnsdist, then I get a correct answer:
;; - >> HEADER << - opcode: RESERVED15, status: NOTIMP, id: 31326

Note that the drop counter is not incremented when I do this test.
Bug or bad configuration ?

Thanks you.
Regards,
Arnaud