[dnsdist] Question regarding the RemoteLogResponseAction

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Oct 30 16:12:56 UTC 2020

Hi Daniel,

On 10/30/20 3:49 PM, Ambauen Daniel (ID NET) via dnsdist wrote:
> Per default the RemoteLogResponseAction only exports A and AAAA records.
>
> RemoteLogResponseAction(remoteLogger[, alterFunction[, includeCNAME[, options]]])
> I guess the alterFunction call could be used to call an appropriate lua function which exports all rrs.
>
> Is my assumption correct?

I'm afraid that won't work. There are two issues there, the first one is
that dnsdist doesn't know how to parse most records, so it can't export
them. You could in theory do the parsing in Lua from the raw bytes, but
then you would stumble unto the second issue which is that you can't add
a record to a protobuf message from Lua.

If you really need to export all records, I would suggest having a look
at dnstap instead of our own protobuf format, as it exports the whole
DNS packet.