[dnsdist] prometheus values queries-per-connection and connection-duration always 0 for DoH?

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Nov 16 14:24:07 UTC 2020

Hi Christoph,

On 11/14/20 5:59 PM, Christoph via dnsdist wrote:

> while creating a dashboard for dnsdist prometheus metrics
> we noticed that the following values are always 0 in case of DoH,
> in case of DoT they appear to work fine:
>
> dnsdist_frontend_tcpavgqueriesperconnection
> dnsdist_frontend_tcpavgconnectionduration
>
> We do use DoH and there are ongoing DoH queries.
>
> dnsdist version: 1.5.1
>
> Is anyone successfully seeing non-zero values in these metrics for DoH
> or is this a bug?

These metrics are not yet implemented for DoH, but as they are inherited
from the generic frontend structure they do appear in our metrics.

The reason why it was not yet implemented is that the current API of the
library we are using to handle HTTP/2, h2o, makes that a bit difficult.
I just implemented [1] an external table to match the connection to DoH
queries, so we should have these metrics in 1.6.0.

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/9738