[dnsdist] Regex-Question

Frank Louwers frank+pdns at tembo.be
Fri Nov 13 10:45:06 UTC 2020

Hi Markus,

> On Nov 13, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Markus Ehrlicher via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> Hello together,
>
> I have dnsdist in Version 1.5.1 installed and are successfully using some rules for blocking/slowing down queries for some subdomains:
>
> addAction(RegexRule(".*\\.subdomain\\.example\\.org$"), ERCodeAction(DNSRCode.SERVFAIL))
> addAction(RegexRule(".*\\.?example\\.org$"), QPSAction(10))

You don't need to use a RegexRule, you can just do something like this:

addAction("subdomain.example.org ", DropAction()) (or whatever other action you want to do).

> But now, I have a little more complicated task: I want to block all queries for *.example.org <http://example.org/>, except subdomain1.example.org <http://subdomain1.example.org/> and subdomain2.example.org <http://subdomain2.example.org/>.
> I tried it with some Online Regex-Tools (https://regex101.com/r/Y2sXP8/3 <https://regex101.com/r/Y2sXP8/3>), but these rule is not accepted by dnsdist. I know that the incasesensitive-flag isn’t needed in dnsdist, but this was for testing. Is there a good documentation about the regex escpecially for dnsdist or is my problem not solvable with dnsdist regex?

The first action that matches, will be executed. So if you first add the domains that should get trough (assign them to a pool for instance), then then the action that should block / servfail / tc=1 / rate limit. / .... you should be fine.

Kind Regards,

Frank Louwers