[dnsdist] First alpha release of dnsdist 1.5.0

Frederik Pettai pettai at sunet.se
Sat Mar 21 13:16:03 UTC 2020

Hi Remi,

> On 20 Mar 2020, at 14:32, Remi Gacogne via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> […]
> The most exciting new feature is the implementation of the Proxy
> Protocol between dnsdist and its backends. Aimed to replace the use of
> EDNS Client Subnet and our own XPF, the Proxy Protocol is an existing
> standard where a small header is prepended to the query, passing not
> only the source and destination addresses and ports along to the
> backend, but also custom values. Support for parsing the Proxy Protocol
> is already available in the development tree of the PowerDNS Recursor.

From the text above, It’s not clear what the supported scope is, but I interpret that it’s supported for all DNS services.

This existing standard that text is referring to, which one is it? The Github pull request (https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/8874) in the release notes for this work doesn’t reference that either. Only IETF dns proxy search results that I found was on XPF (https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02.html) which the text above says is going to be replaced...

But going back to previous work on Github, this reference comes up:
https://www.haproxy.org/download/1.9/doc/proxy-protocol.txt

Have you or anyone else been discussing support for this with other DNS software vendors too?
If yes, was the reactions good? (Good like "we’re going to consider adopting that too” ?)

Re,
/P