[dnsdist] Ipv4 and Ipv6 forwarding.

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Fri Jan 10 09:05:59 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 1/10/20 4:07 AM, Michael Van Der Beek wrote:
> The question is. Incoming ipv6 dns queries.. will it forward via the
> authv4 server or the authv6 server IP?

Not by default, but you can write some rules to route queries to
different pool based on the address they were initially sent to, using
NetmaskGroupRule [1].

> This is for the purpose of statistics.  I want to be able to know how
> much v4 and v6 queries are arriving.
>
> As far as I know.. as of 1.4 of dnsdist it does not have v6 statistics.
> So I have to rely on the auth server for statistics.

We do treat v4 and v6 the same way, but if you write the kind of rule I
suggested above you will be able to infer the number of v4 and v6
queries from the rules counters.

> One other thing I discovered.. under load testing.
>
> You can only have 4 threads specified, any more then that it will have
> almost 0 request to threads >4.
>
> Where the 4 main threads can be maxed out.

That's more than surprising, but you don't provide your configuration so
we don't know which load-balancing policy you are using. The default,
leastOutstanding, will try to maximize the cache-hit ratio by sending
all queries to a single server, until it struggles (until it has more
outstanding queries than the other servers, actually).
If you want a uniform repartition, I'd suggest the use of wrandom or
roundrobin instead.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/rules-actions.html#NetmaskGroupRule