[dnsdist] Question about the use of the method :addMask(masks)

Ambauen Daniel (ID NET) daniel.ambauen at id.ethz.ch
Thu Feb 27 17:47:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

I try to understand the NetmaskGroup feature.
https://dnsdist.org/reference/netmaskgroup.html?highlight=mask

:addMask(mask) works fine.

internal_NMG = newNMG()
internal_NMG:addMask(‘192.168.1.0/24’)
internal_NMG:addMask(‘192.168.2.0/24’)
addAction(NetmaskGroupRule(internal_NMG), NoneAction())

But I have difficulties to understand the correct use of :addMask(masks)

From the documentation:
masks (table) – Adds the keys of the table to the NetmaskGroup.
It should be a table whose keys are ComboAddress objects and values are integers, as returned by exceed* functions.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to understand this sentence.
Does anyone have a working example?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel