[dnsdist] Erratic CPU Usage

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Dec 24 08:56:23 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 12/24/20 7:25 AM, Jahanzeb Arshad via dnsdist wrote:
> We have deployed two instances of dnsdist v1.5.1 on CentOS 7.9. After
> running for 7-8 days both the machines start showing erratic CPU usage
> pattern. The CPU usage jumps to 40% then 0 and the servers keep on doing
> this. If the process is restarted this is fixed. Need some help to
> identify and fix this issue.

Would you mind posting the dnsdist configuration you are using, after
redacting passwords and API keys, of course?

It would also be very helpful if you could do a "strace -f -p <pid of
dnsdist>" for a few seconds after the process has started acting out.
Getting a backtrace might also help, which can be done by attaching a
debugger via "gdb -p <pid of dnsdist>" then issuing "thread apply all bt
full".