[dnsdist] Logging a sample of queries

Jacob Bunk Nielsen jbn at one.com
Mon Sep 16 06:42:03 UTC 2019

On 06/09/2019 10.07, Jacob Bunk Nielsen wrote:
> I want to log a sample of our DNS queries to dnsdist. We run dnsdist
> 1.3.3 under systemd.
>
> I have tried:
>
> addAction(ProbaRule(0.01), LogAction())
>
> I would expect this to log ~1/100 of our queries. But there's
> obviously a bug in the docs for dnsdist because LogAction() always
> require at least one argument. I couldn't find a good place to fix it
> and make a pull request. Should I make a github issue?

I found the place to update the documentation:

https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/8298 (already merged, nice!)

I'm almost certain that I can do it through a remoteLogger and
RemoteLogAction, but I'd much rather just log locally to stdout. I still
haven't found a good way to do that.

Best regards,

Jacob