[dnsdist] QPS / SERVFAILPS and CPU USAGE

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Tue Nov 12 13:59:47 UTC 2019

Hi Jacob,

On 11/11/19 2:49 PM, Jacob Falzon wrote:
> Is it possible to export QPS to metronome from DNSDIST. I'm not able to
> find any documentation regarding this.
>
> Am looking for more statistics than those provided in
>https://dnsdist.org/statistics.htmlwhich I am receiving.
>
> But Others like QPS / SERVFAILPS and CPU USAGE which are available from
> PowerDNS are not exported for DNSDIST.

There are much more metrics than the one listed on that page that are
exported, either via carbon (for metronome), prometheus or the REST API.
But a lot of metrics, including QPS, are per-frontend and per-backend.
They do show up in metronome directly. If you use another tool to
process the metrics, I'd suggest you look more closely at the values you
are receiving.

As for the CPU usage, it's listed right there on the page you link to,
as "cpu-sys-msec" and "cpu-user-msec".