[dnsdist] dnsdist performance

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Thu Aug 8 08:52:51 UTC 2019

Hi Gentian,

On 8/8/19 10:20 AM, Gentian Bajraktari wrote:
> but when we test with resperf (from dnsperf tool), the results are very
> bad for DNSDIST, around 5-15K QPS , while when we test directly to one
> of BIND ip addresses the QPS goes up to 50-60Qps.

Those are very low numbers, for dnsdist but also for Bind (assuming you
mean 50-60k qps), on what hardware are you testing this? Is this a VM?

> we have tried both rpm install of dnsdist, compiling from source and
> even comiling the concur version but all with similar results, ie when
> resperf tests go through dnsdist the results are much lower in terms of qps.

Knowing the exact version of dnsdist would help a lot.

Did you read the tuning guide [1]? At the very least you should set
setMaxUDPOutstanding(65535). You are also using a single thread for
receiving UDP queries which might not be what you want, although you
should get much more than 15k qps even with a single thread.

> OS is Centos7 in all servers, tweaked all settings for file limits, udp
> connections etc.

Did you disable any firewall? Remove any connection tracking modules? It
would be very useful to know exactly what you tweaked.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/advanced/tuning.html