[dnsdist] dnsdist capacity

Alexey Bokhanovskiy alexey.bokhanovskiy at tele2.com
Fri Nov 9 13:07:41 UTC 2018

Hello dnsdist Team,
We need your help 😊
We found dnsdist very useful and interesting solution for very big network.
Now we are using two DNS loadbalancers with seven servers powerdns and we found that the capacity loadbalancer has limit approximately 50k qps
Our version of dnsdist is 1.3.3-1pdns.bionic.
Is 50kqps the limit of software or hardware? Or need to additional configuration?
For DNS Loadbalancers we are using two the same HP GL-380e G8 servers:
Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              32
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-31
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  8
Socket(s):           2
NUMA node(s):        2
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               45
Model name:          Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Stepping:            7
CPU MHz:             1973.499
CPU max MHz:         2000.0000
CPU min MHz:         1200.0000
BogoMIPS:            3989.88
Virtualization:      VT-x
L1d cache:           32K
L1i cache:           32K
L2 cache:            256K
L3 cache:            20480K

Best Regards,
Alexey Bokhanovskiy

******** IMPORTANT NOTICE ********
The content of this e-mail is intended for the addressee(s) only and may contain information that is confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any copying, distribution or any other use or dissemination of the information contained in this e-mail (and its attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail and any copies thereof.

Tele2 AB (publ) and its subsidiaries (“Tele2 Group”) accepts no responsibility for the consequences of any viruses, corruption or other interference transmitted by e-mail.