[dnsdist] dnsdist RPM packages for CentOS/EL 6 had broken scriptlets

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Fri May 25 09:23:26 UTC 2018

Hi all,

This email is for the users of dnsdist on CentOS/EL 6 using the packages
from repo.powerdns.com.

It was discovered that several of the RPM scriptlets in the EL6 packages
were broken and would make upgrading or uninstalling impossible. This
issue was introduced in the 1.2.0-1pdns.el6 package, and still exists in
the 1.3.0-1pdns.el6 package.

This was already reported in February by Frank Even[1], but was not
acted upon. Recently we received another report and dove into the issue.
This lead to a fix for the issue[2].

Consequently, we have rebuilt the CentOS/EL6 packages for both dnsdist
1.2.1 and 1.3.0 and uploaded them to the repository. Their version
numbers are:

 - 1.2.1-2pdns.el6
 - 1.3.0-2pdns.el6

When upgrading, the older scriplets will fail. The best way to rectify
this situation is to uninstall the existing dnsdist, skipping the
scripts and installing from the repository:

  yum --setopt=tsflags=noscripts remove dnsdist
  yum install dnsdist

Our apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Best regards,

Pieter and the PowerDNS team

1 - https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/dnsdist/2018-February/000398.html
2 - https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/6641