[dnsdist] Latency value under showServers()

Nigel H demonic76 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:30:08 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm seeing a discrepancy when i run showServers() in dnsdist.  Our internal
pool of dns servers appears correct and monitoring shows the odd spike in
latency but our external pool (opendns) seems to just keep increasing in
value.  The documentation states its the latency for this servers in
milliseconds but when I test using dig I'm seeing normal resolution times
1-8ms mostly but dnsdist reports latency like below (27ms).

dnsdist -e "showServers()"
#   Name                 Address                       State     Qps
Qlim Ord Wt    Queries   Drops Drate   Lat Outstanding Pools
0   ns-01                10.10.10.10:53                   up     0.3
0   1  1      56524       0   0.0   0.3           0 int_pool
14  opendns01            208.67.222.222:53                up     0.0
0 100  1        169       0   0.0  27.8           0 ext_pool
15  opendns02            208.67.220.220:53                up     0.0
0 100  1        148       0   0.0  27.0           0 ext_pool

Can someone confirm its meaning?  Is it an average latency based an amount
of queries to this server or is it the highest latency seen?  Also does
dnsdist incorporate the latency of the health check?

I thought it might be throttling by opendns but manual tests don't support
this.

Thanks,

Nigel.