[dnsdist] Drops in dnsdist showServer stats

Frank Even lists+powerdns.com at elitists.org
Mon Aug 27 19:27:22 UTC 2018

I know this topic has come up a few times but I can't seem to find
much in the way of clear information on exactly what dnsdist
classifies as a "Drop."  I've got an instance running to a local
nameserver and I have a number of drops that I don't necessarily feel
I should have considering it's a local nameserver.  I'm also starting
to get reports that some people are having trouble on occasion
resolving some things that magically start working again.  I'm trying
to figure out if the site is having a general issue, if it's a client
issue, or if there is some weird disconnect from DNSDIST to the local
named instance.

Systems are Cent 7 using dnsdist 1.3.0.

One of them looks like this:

# dnsdist -c
> showServers()
#   Name                 Address                       State     Qps
 Qlim Ord Wt    Queries   Drops Drate   Lat Outstanding Pools
0                        127.0.0.1:53                     up    15.0
    0   0  1  123929399    3173   0.0  42.4           0

# ps -ef | grep dnsdist
dnsdist   1775     1  0 Jul23 ?        05:39:52 /usr/bin/dnsdist -u
dnsdist -g dnsdist --supervised --disable-syslog

Thanks for any insights,
Frank