[dnsdist] dnsdist single point of failure

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Oct 16 06:52:35 UTC 2017

> On Oct 15, 2017, at 21:08, longtb5 at viettel.com.vn wrote:
>
> Now I want to use dnsdist to distribute DNS request onto those 2 DNS servers. Wouldn’t that make dnsdist the new SPoF?

Yes, for DNS you need a way to reroute the IP to a “live” box.

If your network supports it, anycast with BGP is a popular choice and will allow you to to do load balancing and failover to a separate location (as Chris explained).

If the dnsdist servers are on the same network segment, carp (BSD) or vrrp (lots of equipment, keepalived) work well.

Ask