[dnsdist] The lubbly SNMP / Stats etc

Aleš Rygl ales at rygl.net
Mon May 15 06:21:29 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

I am just running and testing dnsdist from master branch on Debian 8.7 and it worked for me nearly out of the box:

dnsdist.conf:
snmpAgent(true,'/var/agentx/master')

snmpd.conf:

agentAddress udp:<ip of dnsdist box>
rocommunity dnsdist42
agentXSocket    /var/agentx/master
master agentx
agentxperms 0777 0700 _dnsdist _dnsdist  (this is slightly different from documentation. Without changing permissions dnsdist is not able to access the socket)

When you restart dnsdist you should see it registering - check your logs:
May 15 08:16:42 congo dnsdist[12166]: NET-SNMP version 5.7.3 AgentX subagent connected

The user doing SNMP queries must have DNSDIST-MIB in .snmp/mibs or the have to be system wide installed:

snmpwalk   -v 2c -c dnsdist42 testbox  DNSDIST-MIB:queries
DNSDIST-MIB::queries.0 = Counter64: 4873019010

Cheers
Ales Rygl