[dnsdist] Trafic redirect via ports

Thibaud Dublé thibaud.duble at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 23 08:51:09 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am currently stuck with an issue of redirection of traffic to another dnsdist:

So I am using dnsdist on two different host servers. Each dnsdist is connected to 6 LXC containers running Bind.
On both servers, I configured three containers in "Pool1" and the three others in "Pool2".
I added Pool Rules so that queries going to a certain IP would be processed by either Pool1 or Pool2, depending on that IP.
I also want to configure dnsdist as a backup of the other server in case the 3 containers of the pool happen to go down.
The first idea was to send traffic to the other dnsdist for "pool1" on port 5353 and traffic for "pool2" on port 5354,
but it looks like it is impossible to add Pool Rules to a specific IP:port.

Ideally, the pool rule config would look like this :

bind1NMG = newNMG()
bind1NMG:addMask("10.255.0.100/32")
bind1NMG:addMask("10.255.1.100/32")
bind1NMG:addMask("172.17.0.11:5353")

addPoolRule(NetmaskGroupRule(bindNMG),"bind")

bind2NMG = newNMG()
bind2NMG:addMask("10.255.0.200/32")
bind2NMG:addMask("10.255.1.200/32")
bind2NMG:addMask("172.17.0.10:5354")

addPoolRule(NetmaskGroupRule(bind2NMG),"bind2")

so is there any way to do traffic redirect for a same IP but a different port?

Thanks,

Thibaud